jack session questions

James Morris-9
Hi,

Just wondering if there are any behaviour recommendations?

Any recommendations to disable quit/close/open/save/etc when the
client is under jack session management? (Can a client know if it's
under jack session management - does that even mean anything outside
of the callback?)

Should clients assume their executable is installed in a path in
$PATH? If my client can work out it was started in a relative path
should it then work out the full path and pass that in reply to jack
session? This would allow a using a different version to the installed
version of some software to interact with jack-session (ie for
development testing of jack session).

Cheers,
James.

Re: jack session questions

James Morris-9
On 30 June 2012 10:15, James Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if there are any behaviour recommendations?
>
> Any recommendations to disable quit/close/open/save/etc when the
> client is under jack session management? (Can a client know if it's
> under jack session management - does that even mean anything outside
> of the callback?)

Guess not then.

> Should clients assume their executable is installed in a path in
> $PATH? If my client can work out it was started in a relative path
> should it then work out the full path and pass that in reply to jack
> session? This would allow a using a different version to the installed
> version of some software to interact with jack-session (ie for
> development testing of jack session).

Some do, some don't.

> Cheers,
> James.

Re: jack session questions

Hermann Meyer
Am Montag, den 02.07.2012, 09:12 +0100 schrieb James Morris:

> On 30 June 2012 10:15, James Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just wondering if there are any behaviour recommendations?
> >
> > Any recommendations to disable quit/close/open/save/etc when the
> > client is under jack session management? (Can a client know if it's
> > under jack session management - does that even mean anything outside
> > of the callback?)
>
> Guess not then.

Hi James

In guitarix we check if the client is called with a given UUID, and
store the result. Depend on, if the UUID is empty or not, we avoid self
connections and store/read presets from the default or the jack_session
path. So yes, the app know if it is under session control or not.

> > Should clients assume their executable is installed in a path in
> > $PATH? If my client can work out it was started in a relative path
> > should it then work out the full path and pass that in reply to jack
> > session? This would allow a using a different version to the installed
> > version of some software to interact with jack-session (ie for
> > development testing of jack session).
>
> Some do, some don't.

Well, for local testing purpose out of my source path, I have added the
path, otherwise, we give only the (exe)client name and assume that the
app is installed in $PATH.

> > Cheers,
> > James.

greets
hermann

Re: jack session questions

James Morris-9
On 2 July 2012 09:27, hermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Montag, den 02.07.2012, 09:12 +0100 schrieb James Morris:
>> On 30 June 2012 10:15, James Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Just wondering if there are any behaviour recommendations?
>> >
>> > Any recommendations to disable quit/close/open/save/etc when the
>> > client is under jack session management? (Can a client know if it's
>> > under jack session management - does that even mean anything outside
>> > of the callback?)
>>
>> Guess not then.
>>

> Hi James

Hi,

> In guitarix we check if the client is called with a given UUID, and
> store the result. Depend on, if the UUID is empty or not, we avoid self
> connections and store/read presets from the default or the jack_session
> path. So yes, the app know if it is under session control or not.

Ok thanks, I hadn't thought of looking at it that way.

>> > Should clients assume their executable is installed in a path in
>> > $PATH? If my client can work out it was started in a relative path
>> > should it then work out the full path and pass that in reply to jack
>> > session? This would allow a using a different version to the installed
>> > version of some software to interact with jack-session (ie for
>> > development testing of jack session).
>>
>> Some do, some don't.
>>
> Well, for local testing purpose out of my source path, I have added the
> path, otherwise, we give only the (exe)client name and assume that the
> app is installed in $PATH.

amSynth uses BinReloc by Hongli Lai but I thought it looked a bit
overkill so wanted to know what is expected behaviour. I guess it's
one of those things that people would do if there weren't so many
portability problems.

Thanks.

James.