[jack2] assertions on runtime errors

tim

[jack2] assertions on runtime errors

tim
hi,

using jack2, i sometimes get assertion failures in libjack code. first,
it surprises me a bit to see assertions raised in `production binaries'
(i'm using the binaries from ubuntu) ... if they are run-time errors,
wouldn't it be possible to handle them differently (e.g. be returning an
error code instead of aborting the process?
possibly jack1 works differently, but it is unusable for me because of [1].

thanks, tim

[1] http://trac.jackaudio.org/ticket/276

Re: [jack2] assertions on runtime errors

Stéphane Letz
Which version?

(please try latest 1.9.9. from git)

Thanks.

Stéphane

tim

Re: [jack2] assertions on runtime errors

tim
> Which version?
>
> (please try latest 1.9.9. from git)

jackd --version
jackdmp 1.9.8
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.

uninstalling the ubuntu libjack uninstalls a huge number of programs ...
is it possible to run the git libjack and ubuntu's libjack in parallel
without completely messing up my system (it is not only my developer
machine, but also my studio machine)

>>> Where ? any log please?
>>
>> iaw: ../common/JackGraphManager.cpp:44: void
>> Jack::JackGraphManager::AssertPort(jack_port_id_t): Assertion
>> `port_index < fPortMax' failed.
>>
>> cheers, tim

Re: [jack2] assertions on runtime errors

Paul Davis

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Tim Blechmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Which version?
>
> (please try latest 1.9.9. from git)

jackd --version
jackdmp 1.9.8
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.

uninstalling the ubuntu libjack uninstalls a huge number of programs ...

apt has a problem with not having an easy way to remove a package without also removing things that depend on it. its one of the few notably nice things about rpm's "--nodepends" option.

is it possible to run the git libjack and ubuntu's libjack in parallel

you can basically NEVER have parallel JACK installs (its technically possible but almost everyone gets one little detail of it wrong and then wierdness happens and they can't track down why)

if you want to try that, just build with --prefix=/usr and then later do a forced reinstall of the original package.

Re: [jack2] assertions on runtime errors

Hermann Meyer
Am Dienstag, den 15.05.2012, 15:46 +0200 schrieb Tim Blechmann:

> > Which version?
> >
> > (please try latest 1.9.9. from git)
>
> jackd --version
> jackdmp 1.9.8
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
>
> uninstalling the ubuntu libjack uninstalls a huge number of programs ...
> is it possible to run the git libjack and ubuntu's libjack in parallel
> without completely messing up my system (it is not only my developer
> machine, but also my studio machine)

easiest way to solve the apt-dependency’s is to create a dummy package,
eg. a empty package with a high version number to solve the dependency’s
and replace the distro-jack with "nothing". With such a dummy package
installed you can switch the jack version when ever you like.
Then install witch jack version you like.

A other way is just download the (debian) source package, grep the
debian folder out, update the changelog and move it (the debian
directory) into the new source. Then build the jack debian packages and
install them with dpkg -i package
They will smoothly replace the distro-jack-package as an upgrade.

tim

Re: [jack2] assertions on runtime errors

tim
> Which version?
>
> (please try latest 1.9.9. from git)

btw, the assertion is raised because the build system does not define
NDEBUG when building optimized binaries ... is there a reason why they
are not disabled?

>>> Where ? any log please?
>>
>> iaw: ../common/JackGraphManager.cpp:44: void
>> Jack::JackGraphManager::AssertPort(jack_port_id_t): Assertion
>> `port_index < fPortMax' failed.
>>
>> cheers, tim

Re: [jack2] assertions on runtime errors

Stéphane Letz
No reason, patch welcome.

Stéphane

tim

Re: [jack2] assertions on runtime errors

tim
> No reason, patch welcome.

sry, i'm extremely busy with other things these days and not familiar
with waf. but if you do not see this as a problem, maybe it isn't?

>>> Which version?
>>>
>>> (please try latest 1.9.9. from git)
>>
>> btw, the assertion is raised because the build system does not define
>> NDEBUG when building optimized binaries ... is there a reason why they
>> are not disabled?

Re: [jack2] assertions on runtime errors

Adrian Knoth
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 09:52:37AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> > > (please try latest 1.9.9. from git)
> >
> > jackd --version
> > jackdmp 1.9.8
> > Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> > Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
> >
> > uninstalling the ubuntu libjack uninstalls a huge number of programs ...
> >
> apt has a problem with not having an easy way to remove a package without
> also removing things that depend on it. its one of the few notably nice
> things about rpm's "--nodepends" option.

JFTR: You can use dpkg -r --force-depends or even --force-all to
uninstall something without touching back- and forward-dependencies.

However, next time you dist-upgrade the system, the then missing
dependency is reinstalled, so the approach is temporary at best.

The "proper" way of handling the situation at hand is to overwrite the
installed versions by providing the correct prefix (/usr/) and nowadays
also the correct libdir in case of multiarch, e.g. /usr/lib/x86_64/ when
compiling jackd manually. (you have already mentioned the first, I
wanted to make folks aware of the latter)

Cheers

--
mail: [hidden email]   http://adi.thur.de        PGP/GPG: key via keyserver

tim

Re: [jack2] assertions on runtime errors

tim

Re: [jack2] assertions on runtime errors

Stéphane Letz
I think this is fixed now in 1.9.9.

Stéphane