jackd keeps insisting on starting at 44100, even though I give it -r48000

jackd keeps insisting on starting at 44100, even though I give it -r48000

ken restivo-3

I bought a new M-Audio FastTrack Pro recently. It worked fine... until I stopped jackd and tried to run CLAM, which apparently uses ALSA directly and doesn't support jack.  That was a really stupid idea. CLAM did something evil, I have no idea what. Now jackd insists on running at 44100, even though I am explicitly giving it -r48000 at startup.

I can play 48000 files no problem, using  aplay -M -D plughw:0,0 some48kfile.wav

I've tried resetting the FastTrack, resetting ALSA, no dice. Whenever JACK starts up, it appears to do 48000, but then again, it isn't:

jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

JACK compiled with POSIX SHM support.
SSE2 detected
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0,0|hw:0,1|128|3|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 128 frames, buffer = 3 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 3 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 3 periods for playback
playback and capture sample rates do not match (44100 vs. 48000)

Aha! The damned capture port is stuck at 44100. Gah.

fluidsynth: warning: Jack sample rate mismatch, expect tuning issues (synth.sample-rate=48000, jackd=44100)

I tried recording in 48000, and it appears to work too:
arecord -D hw:0,1 -M -f dat  -c 2 -d 3 something.wav

But it doesn't help change the device back to 48k.

Plughw works, but doesn't help jackd change the sample rate either:
arecord -D plughw:0,1 -M -f dat  -c 2 -d 3 something.wav

It's time to punt. OK, so I try -P. If I've broken the device somehow such that it won't record at 48000 anymore, I'll just tell jackd to disregard capturing. *whew* I don't need capturing right now anyway.

jackd -R -P70 -dalsa -r48000 -p128 -n3  -Phw:0,0

That makes jackd happier, and removes its warning:

jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

JACK compiled with POSIX SHM support.
SSE2 detected
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0,0|-|128|3|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 128 frames, buffer = 3 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 3 periods for playback

But, AUUUGGGH!!

fluidsynth: warning: Jack sample rate mismatch, expect tuning issues (synth.sample-rate=48000, jackd=44100)

Tuning issues???! I can't have tuning issues.

So, jackd is in playback-only mode, but it chooses to totally ignore my -r48000, and instead pick a sample rate based on what the capture port can do, even though I have told it not to bother capturing? Huh? Or is it lying to fluidsynth?

This is bad. Everything I have is in 48k. This has to work in 48k.

How can I *force* jackd, with extreme prejudice, to run at 48000 sample rate? Or, to make sure it is reporting the correct sample rate to its clients?

- -ken

Re: jackd keeps insisting on starting at 44100, even though I give it -r48000

Marc-Olivier Barre-2
On 6/30/07, Ken Restivo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 128 frames, buffer = 3 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 3 periods for playback
>
> But, AUUUGGGH!!
>
> fluidsynth: warning: Jack sample rate mismatch, expect tuning issues (synth.sample-rate=48000, jackd=44100)
>
> Tuning issues???! I can't have tuning issues.
>
> So, jackd is in playback-only mode, but it chooses to totally ignore my -r48000, and instead pick a sample rate based on what the capture port can do, even though I have told it not to bother capturing? Huh? Or is it lying to fluidsynth?
>
> This is bad. Everything I have is in 48k. This has to work in 48k.
>
> How can I *force* jackd, with extreme prejudice, to run at 48000 sample rate? Or, to make sure it is reporting the correct sample rate to its clients?

Did you set the samplerate of your card with alsamixer (or a similar
program) to 48000 first ?

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 05:06:14PM +0200, Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:

> [...]
> >ALSA: use 3 periods for playback
> >
> >But, AUUUGGGH!!
> >
> >fluidsynth: warning: Jack sample rate mismatch, expect tuning issues
> >(synth.sample-rate=48000, jackd=44100)
> >
> >Tuning issues???! I can't have tuning issues.
> >
> >So, jackd is in playback-only mode, but it chooses to totally ignore my
> >-r48000, and instead pick a sample rate based on what the capture port can
> >do, even though I have told it not to bother capturing? Huh? Or is it
> >lying to fluidsynth?
> >
> >This is bad. Everything I have is in 48k. This has to work in 48k.
> >
> >How can I *force* jackd, with extreme prejudice, to run at 48000 sample
> >rate? Or, to make sure it is reporting the correct sample rate to its
> >clients?
> >
> >- -ken
>
> Did you set the samplerate of your card with alsamixer (or a similar

This device as no mixer. There is no way to set the sample rate. 48k is usually the default on these kinds of devices.

On 7/1/07, Ken Restivo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Did you set the samplerate of your card with alsamixer (or a similar
> > program) to 48000 first ?
>
> This device as no mixer. There is no way to set the sample rate. 48k is usually the default on these kinds of devices.
>
> - -ken

Maybe there's some specific software to handle card parameters like
with a multiface ? I'm thinking of something like hdspconf.

Maybe you could try playing with amixer. Do you see any controls with
"amixer -c <card number> contents" that could help ?