jackd with alsa AND firewire (ffado)

handsome greg
Hey dudes, maybe this is probably a simple question, but I can't seem to figure this out. I've got the latest jack checkout and ffado installed and functioning properly - at least I can see my M-Audio Ozonic's inputs and outputs fine. The problem is, I'm trying to route alsa's output to my Ozonic's outputs. I have the alsa-plugins package for my system (with jack plugin built and installed correctly) but I'm not seeing any alsa ins or outs in jack, unless I run jackd with -d alsa (which disables my firewire support). Is there any way in the world to just route alsa to my firewire device? It seems like getting ffado working would have been the hard part here! =)

thanks alot
handsome greg

Re: jackd with alsa AND firewire (ffado)

Paul Davis
On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 15:05 -0500, handsome greg wrote:

> Hey dudes, maybe this is probably a simple question, but I can't seem
> to figure this out. I've got the latest jack checkout and ffado
> installed and functioning properly - at least I can see my M-Audio
> Ozonic's inputs and outputs fine. The problem is, I'm trying to route
> alsa's output to my Ozonic's outputs. I have the alsa-plugins package
> for my system (with jack plugin built and installed correctly) but I'm
> not seeing any alsa ins or outs in jack, unless I run jackd with -d
> alsa (which disables my firewire support). Is there any way in the
> world to just route alsa to my firewire device? It seems like getting
> ffado working would have been the hard part here! =)

a JACK server works with a single backend. the firewire/ffado/freebob
backend(s) are distinct from the ALSA backends. ergo, you cannot have an
instance of JACK running with both the ALSA and firewire devices visible
(*)

what you probably want for this purpose are torben's ALSA *clients*,
whose names escape me but he or someone will remind us of. these can be
run as regular clients of a JACK server using freebob/ffado, and will
read/write audio from/to an ALSA device, passing it to/from JACK.

these clients should really be integrated into JACK (along with
netjack).

(*) there's no good reason why one shouldn't want to do this, its just
that the architecture of a backend is subtly but importantly different
from a regular client.