jackd without sound card

Michel Bardiaux-2
This may be a FAQ, but is not in the FAQ, and by its nature impossible
to find in the list archives), so, shamelessly:

I need to use jackd as a relay from vlc (which has a jack output plugin)
to a hardware-oriented TV capture program (by hardware-oriented I mean
it has been engineered to the teeth for real TV and audio cards). And I
dont want to use sound hardware, whether or not that hardware is
available on the system. I couldnt find any example using jackd without
a sound card...

TIA,
--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director

Mediaxim NV/SA
Vorstlaan 191 Boulevard du Souverain
Brussel 1160 Bruxelles
http://www.mediaxim.com/

Re: jackd without sound card

Frank Brickle
Use the dummy driver (-d dummy)?

Regards
Frank

On Nov 22, 2007 12:41 PM, Michel Bardiaux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This may be a FAQ, but is not in the FAQ, and by its nature impossible
> to find in the list archives), so, shamelessly:
>
> I need to use jackd as a relay from vlc (which has a jack output plugin)
> to a hardware-oriented TV capture program (by hardware-oriented I mean
> it has been engineered to the teeth for real TV and audio cards). And I
> dont want to use sound hardware, whether or not that hardware is
> available on the system. I couldnt find any example using jackd without
> a sound card...
>
> TIA,
> --
> Michel Bardiaux
> R&D Director
> T +32 [0] 2 790 29 41
> F +32 [0] 2 790 29 02
> E mailto:[hidden email]
>
> Mediaxim NV/SA
> Vorstlaan 191 Boulevard du Souverain
> Brussel 1160 Bruxelles
> http://www.mediaxim.com/

Re: jackd without sound card

lars.luthman (Bugzilla)
On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 18:41 +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> This may be a FAQ, but is not in the FAQ, and by its nature impossible
> to find in the list archives), so, shamelessly:
>
> I need to use jackd as a relay from vlc (which has a jack output plugin)
> to a hardware-oriented TV capture program (by hardware-oriented I mean
> it has been engineered to the teeth for real TV and audio cards). And I
> dont want to use sound hardware, whether or not that hardware is
> available on the system. I couldnt find any example using jackd without
> a sound card...

Use the dummy driver.

--ll

Re: jackd without sound card

Michel Bardiaux-2
Frank Brickle a écrit :
> Use the dummy driver (-d dummy)?

"Elementary my dear Watson!". Looks like just what I need. Thanks.

Michel Bardiaux a écrit :
> Frank Brickle a écrit :
>> Use the dummy driver (-d dummy)?
>
> "Elementary my dear Watson!". Looks like just what I need. Thanks.

I have been trying for several days now, and I dont seem to make any
progress. I start jackd with -d dummy -C 1 -P 1. And here is what
qjackctl tells me (after I start vlc with a TS stream as input and the
jack audio plugin as output)

[Readable clients/output ports]

- dummy_pcm
        capture_1
- vlc
        channel_1
        channel_2

[Writable clients/input ports]

- dummy_pcm
        playback_1

With a connection line from "channel_1" to "playback_1", and one from
"channel_2" to "playback_2".

What I need is to record the (stereo-to-mono) mix of channel_1 and_2. I
have been fooling around with various of the example programs, plus code
of mine, but the short if it is that jackrec tells me

cannot connect input port jackrec:input1 to capture_1

whatever port I specify!

I must be missing something so obvious that it is not documented
anywhere. <ingratiating kitten mode> Help please?

Note that if I run vlc with the oss plugin, I hear sound, which checks
that there is sound in the TS stream and it is correctly decoded.
Similarly if I use the vlc jack audio output plugin and jackd -d oss
hw:0 (not what I was looking for, but good to know).

>> Regards
>> Frank
>>
>> On Nov 22, 2007 12:41 PM, Michel Bardiaux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> This may be a FAQ, but is not in the FAQ, and by its nature impossible
>>> to find in the list archives), so, shamelessly:
>>>
>>> I need to use jackd as a relay from vlc (which has a jack output plugin)
>>> to a hardware-oriented TV capture program (by hardware-oriented I mean
>>> it has been engineered to the teeth for real TV and audio cards). And I
>>> dont want to use sound hardware, whether or not that hardware is
>>> available on the system. I couldnt find any example using jackd without
>>> a sound card...

-- - dummy_pc
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
T +32 [0] 2 790 29 41
F +32 [0] 2 790 29 02
E mailto:[hidden email]

Mediaxim NV/SA
Vorstlaan 191 Boulevard du Souverain
Brussel 1160 Bruxelles
http://www.mediaxim.com/

Re: jackd without sound card

Wolfgang Woehl
Dienstag, 27. November 2007 Michel Bardiaux:

> Michel Bardiaux a écrit :
> > Frank Brickle a écrit :
> >> Use the dummy driver (-d dummy)?
> >
> > "Elementary my dear Watson!". Looks like just what I need. Thanks.
>
> I have been trying for several days now, and I dont seem to make any
> progress. I start jackd with -d dummy -C 1 -P 1. And here is what
> qjackctl tells me (after I start vlc with a TS stream as input and the
> jack audio plugin as output)
>
> [Readable clients/output ports]
>
> - dummy_pcm
> capture_1
> - vlc
> channel_1
> channel_2
>
> [Writable clients/input ports]
>
> - dummy_pcm
> playback_1
>
> With a connection line from "channel_1" to "playback_1", and one from
> "channel_2" to "playback_2".
>
> What I need is to record the (stereo-to-mono) mix of channel_1 and_2. I
> have been fooling around with various of the example programs, plus code
> of mine, but the short if it is that jackrec tells me
>
> cannot connect input port jackrec:input1 to capture_1
>
> whatever port I specify!

This works here:

$ jackd -d dummy
$ mplayer -ao jack video.avi
$ jack_lsp
dummy_pcm:capture_1
dummy_pcm:capture_2
dummy_pcm:playback_1
dummy_pcm:playback_2
MPlayer [4866]:out_0
MPlayer [4866]:out_1
$ jackrec -f video.wav -d (duration in seconds) MPlayer\ \[4866\]:out_0

Note the \'s to escape <space> and []'s

> I must be missing something so obvious that it is not documented
> anywhere. <ingratiating kitten mode> Help please?
>
> Note that if I run vlc with the oss plugin, I hear sound, which checks
> that there is sound in the TS stream and it is correctly decoded.
> Similarly if I use the vlc jack audio output plugin and jackd -d oss
> hw:0 (not what I was looking for, but good to know).

You can use "alsa_out" from the netjack package to bridge over to your
physical device and get to hear the audio.

Wolfgang

Re: jackd without sound card

Michel Bardiaux-2
Wolfgang Woehl a écrit :

> Dienstag, 27. November 2007 Michel Bardiaux:
>> Michel Bardiaux a écrit :
>>> "Elementary my dear Watson!". Looks like just what I need. Thanks.
>> I have been trying for several days now, and I dont seem to make any
>> progress. I start jackd with -d dummy -C 1 -P 1. And here is what
>> qjackctl tells me (after I start vlc with a TS stream as input and the
>> jack audio plugin as output)
>>
>> [Readable clients/output ports]
>>
>> - dummy_pcm
>> capture_1
>> - vlc
>> channel_1
>> channel_2
>>
>> [Writable clients/input ports]
>>
>> - dummy_pcm
>> playback_1
>>
>> With a connection line from "channel_1" to "playback_1", and one from
>> "channel_2" to "playback_2".
>>
>> What I need is to record the (stereo-to-mono) mix of channel_1 and_2. I
>> have been fooling around with various of the example programs, plus code
>> of mine, but the short if it is that jackrec tells me
>>
>> cannot connect input port jackrec:input1 to capture_1
>>
>> whatever port I specify!
>
> This works here:
>
> $ jackd -d dummy
> $ mplayer -ao jack video.avi
> $ jack_lsp
> dummy_pcm:capture_1
> dummy_pcm:capture_2
> dummy_pcm:playback_1
> dummy_pcm:playback_2
> MPlayer [4866]:out_0
> MPlayer [4866]:out_1

Much more practical than paraphrasing the look of qjackctl!

> $ jackrec -f video.wav -d (duration in seconds) MPlayer\ \[4866\]:out_0

> Note the \'s to escape <space> and []'s

Works for me too. Thanks a lot. Now I just have to CSI the source of
jackrec and I will have something working.

But is there a way to setup things so that the recorder can be started
*before* the media-player?