jackdmp -t / --timeout flag

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jackdmp -t / --timeout flag

Steven Chamberlain
Hi,

I've been trying to run a JACK client (ardour2) inside of gdb but it is
always kicked out by jackdmp.

Apparently with normal jackd, it should sufficient to start jackd with a
timeout of 5000 or 10000 msec, and not with realtime priority.

If I run jackdmp with '-t 10000 -dalsa', ardour2 seems to be kicked out
of JACK almost instantly (even though it has definitely been running
less than 10 seconds).

Is -t implemented in jackdmp?  If not, is there any other way of doing this?

Thanks,
--
Steven Chamberlain
[hidden email]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jackdmp -t / --timeout flag

Stéphane Letz

Le 28 juil. 07 à 14:08, Steven Chamberlain a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to run a JACK client (ardour2) inside of gdb but  
> it is
> always kicked out by jackdmp.
>
> Apparently with normal jackd, it should sufficient to start jackd  
> with a
> timeout of 5000 or 10000 msec, and not with realtime priority.
>
> If I run jackdmp with '-t 10000 -dalsa', ardour2 seems to be kicked  
> out
> of JACK almost instantly (even though it has definitely been running
> less than 10 seconds).
>
> Is -t implemented in jackdmp?  If not, is there any other way of  
> doing this?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Steven Chamberlain
> [hidden email]
>


jackdmp does not "kick out" clients (in the sense of what normal  
jackd does, that is calling shutdown client callback) and the timeout  
mechanism is implemented... but  has probably never been tested in  
the context you are experimenting.

Try to use a time out value *and* start jackdmp in "synchronous"  
mode, using the -S like :

jackdmp -R -S -d alsa .....

Stephane

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jackdmp -t / --timeout flag

Steven Chamberlain
Stéphane Letz wrote:
> Try to use a time out value *and* start jackdmp in "synchronous"  
> mode, using the -S like :
>
> jackdmp -R -S -d alsa .....

I tried -S, with and without -R, with and without -t 10000 or even -t
100000.  The same thing happens.

When ardour is started in gdb it says "JACK has either been shutdown or
it disconnected..." and it is not shown in the client list of qjackctl.
 ardour gives the following console output from the jack client library:
  JackFifo::TimedWait name = /dev/shm/jack_fifo.ardour usec = 2147483647
revents 0
  SuspendRefNum error
  JackClient::Execute error name = ardour

I tried using the 'dummy' output driver for jackdmp but the same thing
happens.

I also tried this:
  jackdmp -R -t 10000 -S -d alsa -d hw:M1010 -s -p 1024 -n 3

That did the same thing, except after ardour was closed, jackdmp started
producing these error messages:
  JackFifo::TimedWait name = /dev/shm/jack_fifo.freewheel usec =
10000000 revents 0
  JackFreewheelDriver::ProcessSync SuspendRefNum error
  JackAudioDriver::ProcessSync ProcessSlaves error, engine may now
behave abnormally!!

If ardour is run outside of gdb, everything works fine.  I would like to
be able to run ardour within gdb to try some debugging, but I would need
jackdmp to cope with, or ignore, ardour (and probably the process
callback too, I'm not sure) running slowly.

I imagine that for now, the only way to do this would be to use the
original jackd?

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
[hidden email]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jackdmp -t / --timeout flag

Stéphane Letz
> Stéphane Letz wrote:
>> Try to use a time out value *and* start jackdmp in "synchronous"
>> mode, using the -S like :
>>
>> jackdmp -R -S -d alsa .....
>
> I tried -S, with and without -R, with and without -t 10000 or even -t
> 100000.  The same thing happens.
>
> When ardour is started in gdb it says "JACK has either been shutdown or
> it disconnected..." and it is not shown in the client list of qjackctl.
>  ardour gives the following console output from the jack client library:
>   JackFifo::TimedWait name = /dev/shm/jack_fifo.ardour usec = 2147483647
> revents 0
>   SuspendRefNum error
>   JackClient::Execute error name = ardour
>
> I tried using the 'dummy' output driver for jackdmp but the same thing
> happens.
>
> I also tried this:
>   jackdmp -R -t 10000 -S -d alsa -d hw:M1010 -s -p 1024 -n 3
>
> That did the same thing, except after ardour was closed, jackdmp started
> producing these error messages:
>   JackFifo::TimedWait name = /dev/shm/jack_fifo.freewheel usec =
> 10000000 revents 0
>   JackFreewheelDriver::ProcessSync SuspendRefNum error
>   JackAudioDriver::ProcessSync ProcessSlaves error, engine may now
> behave abnormally!!
>
> If ardour is run outside of gdb, everything works fine.  I would like to
> be able to run ardour within gdb to try some debugging, but I would need
> jackdmp to cope with, or ignore, ardour (and probably the process
> callback too, I'm not sure) running slowly.
>
> I imagine that for now, the only way to do this would be to use the
> original jackd?
>

Yes...
I will need to debug ((-:  to see what happens

Stéphane


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel