[newbie] xruns a no go-go

Bugzilla from moron@industrial.org
Howdy.  I recently picked up an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 with the intent to be
able to use Ardour for recording since it be tres sexy.  I've installed the
realtime-lsm module and currently am running Gentoo's 2.6.12-gentoo-r10
kernel sources.  For jackd --version I get:

jackd version 0.99.0 tmpdir /var/run/jack protocol 13

Now my first question here is what I should be expecting performance wise from
Ardour with my current machine.  Perhaps I am SOL for recording?

Asus A7V333 motherboard
AMD Athlon 1800+ CPU
Gig of Ram
GeForce 6200 video card

I would have thought that this would be more than enough for some basic
recording but I am currently unable to record more than about 10 seconds in
Ardour before it gets cut off by Jackd and I see a wack of xruns in the jackd
console window.

So should I be expecting to be able to record with this machine?  I can do so
in Audacity alright (I have not done extensive testing since switching the
card but it worked with the crappy USB interface I had previously and a quick
test seem to be fine) so I would have hoped that Jackd and Ardour would be
able to as well.  I can playback with no major problems, seems to be record
only.

Are there any BIOS tweaks I should be looking at here?  The current docs for
jack seem to be missing large sections and likewise, the links for
configuring for reatime have changed and not totally been updated as far as I
can see.

Before I go down the random tweak road I just wanted to get a feel for whether
this is actually worth fighting with or whether I am just going to have to
give up on using this machine for multi-track recording any time soon.

Thanks for any suggestions (beyond where to insert the sound card on my
person).

=)

Cheers

--
---> (culture) http://industrial.org : (label)  http://deterrent.net
---> (community) http://ampfea.org : (hire me) http://codegrunt.com

Re: [newbie] xruns a no go-go

Petter Sundlöf
You should have absolutely no problems recording 8+ tracks on hardware
of that caliber.

As for your problems, I can only speculate. Motherboard? What chipset?
Updated BIOS? Tried with a non-RT kernel (I reckon r10 is realtime)?
What kind of hard drive do you have? Is DMA enabled?

moron wrote:

> Howdy.  I recently picked up an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 with the intent to be
> able to use Ardour for recording since it be tres sexy.  I've installed the
> realtime-lsm module and currently am running Gentoo's 2.6.12-gentoo-r10
> kernel sources.  For jackd --version I get:
>
> jackd version 0.99.0 tmpdir /var/run/jack protocol 13
>
> Now my first question here is what I should be expecting performance wise from
> Ardour with my current machine.  Perhaps I am SOL for recording?
>
> Asus A7V333 motherboard
> AMD Athlon 1800+ CPU
> Gig of Ram
> GeForce 6200 video card
>
> I would have thought that this would be more than enough for some basic
> recording but I am currently unable to record more than about 10 seconds in
> Ardour before it gets cut off by Jackd and I see a wack of xruns in the jackd
> console window.
>
> So should I be expecting to be able to record with this machine?  I can do so
> in Audacity alright (I have not done extensive testing since switching the
> card but it worked with the crappy USB interface I had previously and a quick
> test seem to be fine) so I would have hoped that Jackd and Ardour would be
> able to as well.  I can playback with no major problems, seems to be record
> only.
>
> Are there any BIOS tweaks I should be looking at here?  The current docs for
> jack seem to be missing large sections and likewise, the links for
> configuring for reatime have changed and not totally been updated as far as I
> can see.
>
> Before I go down the random tweak road I just wanted to get a feel for whether
> this is actually worth fighting with or whether I am just going to have to
> give up on using this machine for multi-track recording any time soon.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions (beyond where to insert the sound card on my
> person).
>
> =)
>
> Cheers

Re: [newbie] xruns a no go-go

Lee Revell
On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 18:54 -0700, moron wrote:
> jackd version 0.99.0 tmpdir /var/run/jack protocol 13

Is /var/run/jack mounted as a tmpfs?

cat /proc/mounts

to check.

Lee

Re: [newbie] xruns a no go-go

On Saturday 22 October 2005 19:22, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 18:54 -0700, moron wrote:
> > jackd version 0.99.0 tmpdir /var/run/jack protocol 13
>
> Is /var/run/jack mounted as a tmpfs?

I don't believe so but I think the problem is at least partially due to DMA
not being enabled on /dev/hda.  Unfortunately I am getting following when I
try to enable it:

hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

The IDE chipset is supported via a module and that module is loaded (as far as
I can tell) so I am not sure what is causing the above error.  I guess I'll
deal with that one first.

=)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers

--
---> (culture) http://industrial.org : (label)  http://deterrent.net
---> (community) http://ampfea.org : (hire me) http://codegrunt.com
---> (send EEEI news to) [hidden email]
---> Whomever dies with the most URLs wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: [newbie] xruns a no go-go

Bugzilla from moron@industrial.org
> The IDE chipset is supported via a module and that module is loaded (as far
> as I can tell) so I am not sure what is causing the above error.  I guess
> I'll deal with that one first.

Howdy.  Just as a followup, I managed to sort out the IDE issue affecting
hparm.  Seems it was caused by having generic IDE support enabled in the
kernel (there are a couple of places this shows up, only one of them needed
to be removed, the other I think is required).  Once this was done DMA was
enabled automatically on boot so it looks like a subtle module conflict
there.

Once DMA was enabled I was able to start Jackd and then Ardour and recorded 3
stereo tracks without getting xrun errors.  Had some other weirdness happen
with Ardour where it kept weirdly stalling / crashing but that seemed to be
due to a corrupted session as once I deleted the existing tracks that stuff
went away.

So thanks for the tips and now I can finally try out some decent Linux Audio
apps!

Cheers

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 20:25 -0700, moron wrote:
> On Saturday 22 October 2005 19:22, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 18:54 -0700, moron wrote:
> > > jackd version 0.99.0 tmpdir /var/run/jack protocol 13
> >
> > Is /var/run/jack mounted as a tmpfs?
>
> I don't believe so

If JACK's tmpdir is not mounted on a tmpfs then you will get more xruns
eventually.

Gentoo should have set it up this way by default.

Lee

Re: [newbie] xruns a no go-go

Zach Trexler
On Sunday 23 October 2005 10:23 am, Lee Revell wrote:
> If JACK's tmpdir is not mounted on a tmpfs then you will get more xruns
> eventually.

I'm running Debian 2.6.11 kernel and I don't get any tmpfs mounted when
running JACK.  And I've been having problems lately with recording stuff.

How do I get this tmpfs working?

Re: [newbie] xruns a no go-go

David Mulcahy
On Monday 24 Oct 2005 07:26, Zach Trexler wrote:
> On Sunday 23 October 2005 10:23 am, Lee Revell wrote:
> > If JACK's tmpdir is not mounted on a tmpfs then you will get more xruns
> > eventually.
>
> I'm running Debian 2.6.11 kernel and I don't get any tmpfs mounted when
> running JACK.  And I've been having problems lately with recording stuff.
>
> How do I get this tmpfs working?

On debian (certainly unstable) it usually works out of the box.  type mount on
its own to see what is mounted.  You should see

tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

And when jackd is started see what is in /dev/shm/* .

Dave