(no subject)

Boss-4
hi,
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask, if not my apologies.
I have an old linux box which I have installed rosegarden on. And I have a
crappy soundcard which is obviously not supported by jack. So...no sound.
The question is :what sound card should I buy ( cheap as possible naturally) so
that it is supported by jack?
Thank you

Re: (no subject)

Sampo Savolainen
Quoting [hidden email]:

> hi,
> I don't know if this is the right forum to ask, if not my apologies.
> I have an old linux box which I have installed rosegarden on. And I have
> crappy soundcard which is obviously not supported by jack. So...no
> sound.
> The question is :what sound card should I buy ( cheap as possible
> naturally) so
> that it is supported by jack?
> Thank you

If your soundcard works with ALSA (i.e. you get sound from other
applications), it will work with jackd. How well it works with jackd and
realtime operations is another matter, but it will probably work well.

If you have problems getting jackd running you should provide more
information on your specific problem (error messages, which soundcard, the
contents of /proc/asound/cards, etc..), but jackit-devel is not the
appropriate mailing list to discuss these matters. This mailing list is for
people _developing_ jack itself and software using jack. A more appropriate
mailing list would be linux-audio-users.

http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/subscribelau.php
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/archive.php (search archives)
http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/ (browse archives)

You can also try to search the archives for a solution to your problem. The
list has covered most of the issues surrounding getting jackd working, but
of course, finding the correct search query is difficult.

Good luck,
 Sampo