oss driver failed

Glenn Powers

I'm having a problem running jack with OSS:

[glenn@37wr jack-audio-connection-kit-0.99.0]# jackd -d oss -C
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

OSS: failed to enable full duplex for /dev/dsp: oss_driver.c@506
oss_driver: /dev/dsp : 0x10/2/48000 (4096)
oss_driver: indevbuf 4096 B, outdevbuf 4096 B
OSS: read() failed: oss_driver.c@903

I running RH9 with the current oss driver: oss3993a-linux-x86-v24
Linux host.domain 2.4.20-30.9 #1 Wed Feb 4 20:44:26 EST 2004 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep running OSS (since it's installed and
it works) if possible.

thanks,
glenn

Re: oss driver failed

Paul Davis
On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 15:30 -0400, Glenn Powers wrote:

> I'm having a problem running jack with OSS:
>
> [glenn@37wr jack-audio-connection-kit-0.99.0]# jackd -d oss -C
> jackd 0.99.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

> OSS: failed to enable full duplex for /dev/dsp: oss_driver.c@506

telling us what kind of h/w you have might be a good idea.

Re: oss driver failed

Jussi Laako
On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 15:30 -0400, Glenn Powers wrote:

> [glenn@37wr jack-audio-connection-kit-0.99.0]# jackd -d oss -C

If you specify -C you should also specify capture device. If you'd like
to do capture only, specify playback channels as 0 using "-o 0".

> OSS: failed to enable full duplex for /dev/dsp: oss_driver.c@506

Probably you have some device which has separate devices for playback
and capture. In this case, if you like to do full duplex operation, you
should specify the devices using -C and -P flags.

Can you copy your device list from "cat /dev/sndstat"? Like this:

Audio devices:
0: SB Audigy2 (DUPLEX)
1: SB Audigy2 playback 1 (front)
2: SB Audigy2 playback 2 (surround)
3: SB Audigy2 playback 3 (center/lfe)
4: SB Audigy2 playback 4 (rear)
5: SB Audigy2 playback 5
6: SB Audigy2 playback 6
7: SB Audigy2 raw S/PDIF (output only)
8: SB Audigy2 5.1 output device

--
Jussi Laako <[hidden email]>

Re: oss driver failed

Glenn Powers

Thanks. It appears to be working, but what "port" is input #1 on my
M-Audio card called?
Yes, I RTFM'ed, but I wasn't able to find an answer.

thanks,
glenn

[glenn@37wr glenn]# jackd -d oss -C /dev/dsp -o 0
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

oss_driver: /dev/dsp : 0x10/2/48000 (4096)
oss_driver: indevbuf 4096 B, outdevbuf 0 B

[glenn@37wr jackmeter-0.1]# cat /dev/sndstat
OSS/Linux 3.99.3a (C) 4Front Technologies 1996-2004

License serial number: E00000008
**** UNREGISTERED VERSION ****

Drivers: ALL
License will expire after: 08/2005

*** Unregistered version ***

Build: 200506151716

Card config:
IC Ensemble ENVY24
Generic PnP support
SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388
SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 5

Audio devices:
0: M Audio Delta 44 out1/2
1: M Audio Delta 44 out3/4
2: M Audio Delta 44 in1/2
3: M Audio Delta 44 in3/4
4: M Audio Delta 44 input from mon. mixer
5: M Audio Delta 44 (all outputs)
6: M Audio Delta 44 (all inputs)
7: ESS ES1xxx AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.1)
   Opened by 11349/jackd @ 48000/44100 Hz
8: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #0
9: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #1
10: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #2
11: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #3
12: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #4
13: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #5
14: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #6
15: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #7

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3
1: OSS Virtual Synth v2.5

Midi devices:
0: ESS ES1xxx

Mixers:
0: M Audio Delta 44
1: Sound Blaster
2: Virtual Mixer

History:
dsp7: pid 11346 cmd 'jackd' IN OUT 28 overruns
[glenn@37wr jackmeter-0.1]# ./jack_meter 0
Registering as meter-13402.
Can't find port '0'
cleanup()
[glenn@37wr jackmeter-0.1]#

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 22:56 -0400, Glenn Powers wrote:

> Thanks. It appears to be working, but what "port" is input #1 on my
> M-Audio card called?

If you like to use all inputs and outputs of your card, start jackd with
"-i 4 -o 4 -C /dev/dsp2 -P /dev/dsp0". Then input #0 is first two ports
and input #1 is the second two ports. Same thing for the playback.

Or you can also do "-i 6 -o 4 -C /dev/dsp6 -P /dev/dsp5" for all
channels. For Delta, you can also use "-w 32" for better resolution.

--
Jussi Laako <[hidden email]>

Re: oss driver failed

Glenn Powers

Thanks again, but what are the ports called? #0, 0, /dev/dsp0, /dev/dsp
don't seem to work:

[glenn@37wr jackmeter-0.1]# ./jack_meter #0
Registering as meter-20820.
Can't find port '#0'
cleanup()
[glenn@37wr jackmeter-0.1]# ./jack_meter --help
./jack_meter: invalid option -- -
jackmeter version 0.1

Usage ./jack_meter [-f freqency] [-r ref-level] [-w width] [<port>]

where  freqency is how often to update the meter per second [4]
       ref-level is the reference signal level for 0dB on the meter
       width is how wide to make the meter [79]
       port is the JACK port to monitor
[glenn@37wr jackmeter-0.1]# ./jack_meter /dev/dsp
Registering as meter-20820.
Can't find port /dev/dsp'
cleanup()

thanks,
glenn

Jussi Laako wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 22:56 -0400, Glenn Powers wrote:
>

>>Thanks. It appears to be working, but what "port" is input #1 on my
>>M-Audio card called?
>>

>If you like to use all inputs and outputs of your card, start jackd with
>"-i 4 -o 4 -C /dev/dsp2 -P /dev/dsp0". Then input #0 is first two ports
>and input #1 is the second two ports. Same thing for the playback.
>
>Or you can also do "-i 6 -o 4 -C /dev/dsp6 -P /dev/dsp5" for all
>channels. For Delta, you can also use "-w 32" for better resolution.
>

>>Audio devices:
>>0: M Audio Delta 44 out1/2
>>1: M Audio Delta 44 out3/4
>>2: M Audio Delta 44 in1/2
>>3: M Audio Delta 44 in3/4
>>4: M Audio Delta 44 input from mon. mixer
>>5: M Audio Delta 44 (all outputs)
>>6: M Audio Delta 44 (all inputs)

Re: oss driver failed

Paul Davis
On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 23:43 -0400, Glenn Powers wrote:
> Thanks again, but what are the ports called? #0, 0, /dev/dsp0, /dev/dsp
> don't seem to work:

use jack_lsp to see available ports.

for some time there has been a low-key discussion on whether h/w-related
ports should have a common name across all backends (ALSA, OSS,
CoreAudio etc). at this time, they do not.

Re: oss driver failed

Glenn Powers
Paul Davis wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 23:43 -0400, Glenn Powers wrote:
>

>>Thanks again, but what are the ports called? #0, 0, /dev/dsp0, /dev/dsp
>>don't seem to work:
>>

>use jack_lsp to see available ports.

Thanks! That worked.

Does anyone on this list have any experience connecting jack.udp on a
linux box to NetJack/JackPilot on OS X?

thanks,
glenn

Re: oss driver failed

rj (Bugzilla)
Hi,

On Thursday 14 Jul 2005 21:22, Glenn Powers wrote:

> Paul Davis wrote:
> >On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 23:43 -0400, Glenn Powers wrote:
> >>Thanks again, but what are the ports called? #0, 0, /dev/dsp0, /dev/dsp
> >>don't seem to work:
> >
> >use jack_lsp to see available ports.
>
> Thanks! That worked.
>
> Does anyone on this list have any experience connecting jack.udp on a
> linux box to NetJack/JackPilot on OS X?

Gosh, I had no idea this existed. I have to try it.

/Robert

> thanks,
> glenn

http://spamatica.se/musicsite/

NetJack/jack.udp (was: oss driver failed)

Glenn Powers
Robert Jonsson wrote:

> Gosh, I had no idea this existed. I have to try it.

Yup. And, it's even rumored to work:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10577249

cheers,
glenn

Re: NetJack/jack.udp (was: oss driver failed)

Lee Revell
On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 16:20 -0400, Glenn Powers wrote:
> Robert Jonsson wrote:
>
> > Gosh, I had no idea this existed. I have to try it.
>

> Yup. And, it's even rumored to work:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10577249

It does not handle clock drift between the two machines, so you'd better
have them synced via word clock.

Lee

Re: NetJack/jack.udp

rj (Bugzilla)
On Thursday 14 Jul 2005 22:27, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 16:20 -0400, Glenn Powers wrote:
> > Robert Jonsson wrote:
> > > Gosh, I had no idea this existed. I have to try it.
> >
> > Yup. And, it's even rumored to work:
> > http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10577249
>
> It does not handle clock drift between the two machines, so you'd better
> have them synced via word clock.

With udpsync where the 'peer' is connected through the driver interface this
isn't a problem since it's being clocked by the master.

Incidentally udpsync was recently renamed netjack... my fault, I didn't know
there already was one... bummer.

Regards
/Robert