paul returns to JACK

Paul Davis
I know that we went through a "what needs to be done for 1.0" a few
months ago, but I am now in a position to work full time again on
various Linux audio projects (primarily Ardour, but also JACK).

I want to schedule a full week in the near future during which I will
work almost entirely on JACK in an attempt to

        (a) catch up on the many important bug fixes and patches that
              have been floating around
  (b) do new bug fixes
        (c) try to get JACK as close to 1.0 as I can

If you have specific ideas for what needs to be done, please let me
know. If there are patches *not* in the current sf.net patch tracker
please get them there or give me some way to find them. I plan to do
this *before* LAC2006, so that there is some vague possibility that a
JACK 1.0 release might be possible in time for that meeting.

In addition, I plan to move the jack web site from jackit.sf.net to
jackaudio.org, which is currently in "beta" form and may be revised
again. Its a CMS. CVS at sf.net will be replaced by subversion
at the current host for jackaudio.org (dreamhost). Comments on that move
are welcome too. It is likely that we will also move to scons as the
build tool, assuming that JOQ consents to this but I believe he has
already expressed a favorable attitude towards this.

Once 1.0 is released, we need to start an earnest discussion about what
to do with Stephane's major work on jackdmp, but let us please not start
that until that time.

Re: paul returns to JACK

Lee Revell
On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 20:58 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> I know that we went through a "what needs to be done for 1.0" a few
> months ago, but I am now in a position to work full time again on
> various Linux audio projects (primarily Ardour, but also JACK).

We should only open the ALSA mixer device if hardware monitoring is
enabled, as that's all it's used for.  This simple fix would eliminate
the need for an .asoundrc for many users.

Lee

Re: paul returns to JACK

Lee Revell
On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 20:58 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> I know that we went through a "what needs to be done for 1.0" a few
> months ago, but I am now in a position to work full time again on
> various Linux audio projects (primarily Ardour, but also JACK).
>
> I want to schedule a full week in the near future during which I will
> work almost entirely on JACK in an attempt to
>
> (a) catch up on the many important bug fixes and patches that
>               have been floating around
>   (b) do new bug fixes
> (c) try to get JACK as close to 1.0 as I can
>
> If you have specific ideas for what needs to be done, please let me
> know. If there are patches *not* in the current sf.net patch tracker
> please get them there or give me some way to find them. I plan to do
> this *before* LAC2006, so that there is some vague possibility that a
> JACK 1.0 release might be possible in time for that meeting.

I submitted a patch a month or two ago to use a sane pthread stack size
(512KB IIRC) by default rather than relying on glibc which ends up
allocating 8MB per thread - very painful with mlockall().

Any comments?  Should I resend it or post it to the SF patch tracker?

Lee

Re: paul returns to JACK

Dave Robillard
On Sun, 2006-19-03 at 20:58 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> I know that we went through a "what needs to be done for 1.0" a few
> months ago, but I am now in a position to work full time again on
> various Linux audio projects (primarily Ardour, but also JACK).
>
> I want to schedule a full week in the near future during which I will
> work almost entirely on JACK in an attempt to
>
> (a) catch up on the many important bug fixes and patches that
>               have been floating around
>   (b) do new bug fixes
> (c) try to get JACK as close to 1.0 as I can
>
> If you have specific ideas for what needs to be done, please let me
> know. If there are patches *not* in the current sf.net patch tracker
> please get them there or give me some way to find them. I plan to do
> this *before* LAC2006, so that there is some vague possibility that a
> JACK 1.0 release might be possible in time for that meeting.

I personally consider the system interface client:port naming issue to
be a show-stopping critical problem that needs fixing before 1.0.  Can
we come to a consensus on this issue so I can make a patch for it?

The make-everyone-somewhat-happy (not really) option is to keep the
current names, but provide a command line option to override to
something less stupid.

This would however be significantly more annoying to do than just making
them all the same, and is a lot of added complexity in the name of..
preserving.... incompatibility?

I think all backends should use the same client name ("jack",  "system",
whatever).  Simple, easy, problem solved.

All opposed?

-DR-

Re: paul returns to JACK

Kjetil S. Matheussen

> If you have specific ideas for what needs to be done, please let me
> know.

Yes, two things.

1. Get rid of port maximum, or at least let the client print out an
    informative message to stderr when you run out of ports. Like it
    is no, you only have to guess why jack quit mysteriously. Hopefully,
    you guessed correctly, that you run out of ports. Happened to me today.

2. Add option to give path to driver code. Its impossible to use
    non-standard drivers if you don't have root-access with the current
    setup. And no, not everyone have root-access. (And yes, you can
    compile up your own jack, but thats very inconvenient)

Re: paul returns to JACK

Kjetil S. Matheussen
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

>> If you have specific ideas for what needs to be done, please let me
>> know.
>
> Yes, two things.
>
> 1. Get rid of port maximum, or at least let the client print out an
>   informative message to stderr when you run out of ports. Like it
>   is no, you only have to guess why jack quit mysteriously. Hopefully,
>   you guessed correctly, that you run out of ports. Happened to me today.
>
> 2. Add option to give path to driver code. Its impossible to use
>   non-standard drivers if you don't have root-access with the current
>   setup. And no, not everyone have root-access. (And yes, you can
>   compile up your own jack, but thats very inconvenient)

I forgot to write that I would be happy to implement these two things. But
I want a "GO" first. :-)