problem with soundcard/alsa

salsaman-3
Hi all,
I am setting up an AMD64 laptop, and there are some problems running jack.

When I boot up and start jackd, all seems OK, until the first xrun occurs.
After that it seems that the card no longer sends interrupts, even if
jackd is restarted.

Here is the output from jackd:

server `default' registered
registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
registered builtin port type 8 bit raw midi
clock source = system clock via gettimeofday
new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x613d90 fd = -1
creating alsa driver ... hw:0,0|hw:0,0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
new buffer size 1024
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_1, offset = 4096
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_2, offset = 8192
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_1, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_2, offset = 0
++ jack_rechain_graph():
client alsa_pcm: internal client, execution_order=0.
-- jack_rechain_graph()
2869 waiting for signals
load = 0.0211 max usecs: 9.000, spare = 21324.000
load = 0.0176 max usecs: 3.000, spare = 21330.000
load = 0.0252 max usecs: 7.000, spare = 21326.000
load = 0.0196 max usecs: 3.000, spare = 21330.000
load = 0.0215 max usecs: 5.000, spare = 21328.000
load = 0.0178 max usecs: 3.000, spare = 21330.000
load = 0.0276 max usecs: 8.000, spare = 21325.000
load = 0.0209 max usecs: 3.000, spare = 21330.000
load = 0.0221 max usecs: 5.000, spare = 21328.000
load = 0.0181 max usecs: 3.000, spare = 21330.000
load = 0.0372 max usecs: 12.000, spare = 21321.000
load = 0.0256 max usecs: 3.000, spare = 21330.000
load = 0.0269 max usecs: 6.000, spare = 21327.000

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.015 msecs

~/.jackdrc contains:

/usr/bin/jackd -v -dalsa -dhw:0,0 -p1024 -n2

The sound card is an ATI SB450 HDA Audio

I`m also using the 64 bit version of libasound.

Help appreciated.

Gabriel.
http://lives.sourceforge.net

Re: problem with soundcard/alsa

Lee Revell
> Hi all,
> I am setting up an AMD64 laptop, and there are some problems running jack.
>
> When I boot up and start jackd, all seems OK, until the first xrun occurs.
> After that it seems that the card no longer sends interrupts, even if
> jackd is restarted.

So once JACK gets an xrun, even aplay won't work?

If so then this is a driver or kernel bug, most likely broken
interrupt routing.  Are you using the latest BIOS?  What other devices
share the interrupt with the soundcard?

Lee

On Wed, June 6, 2007 20:51, Lee Revell wrote:

>> Hi all,
>> I am setting up an AMD64 laptop, and there are some problems running
>> jack.
>>
>> When I boot up and start jackd, all seems OK, until the first xrun
>> occurs.
>> After that it seems that the card no longer sends interrupts, even if
>> jackd is restarted.
>
> So once JACK gets an xrun, even aplay won't work?

aplay still works, as does alsamixer. Which is what leads me to believe
it`s a jack bug.

> If so then this is a driver or kernel bug, most likely broken
> interrupt routing.  Are you using the latest BIOS?  What other devices
> share the interrupt with the soundcard?

I`ve not touched the BIOS (I just got the machine yesterday). Here is the
output of /proc/interrupts?

           CPU0
  0:   12617916    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:       5307    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
  8:          0    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
  9:        128   IO-APIC-level  acpi
 12:     232709    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
 14:         60    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 50:         35   IO-APIC-level  ohci_hcd:usb1, ohci_hcd:usb2, ehci_hcd:usb3
 58:       4810         PCI-MSI  HDA Intel
 66:       7102   IO-APIC-level  eth0
177:          1   IO-APIC-level  yenta
233:      15016   IO-APIC-level  libata, sdhci:slot0
NMI:        301
LOC:   12615626
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

HDA Intel is the soundcard.

Regards,
Gabriel.

Re: problem with soundcard/alsa

Paul Davis
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 20:59 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> HDA Intel is the soundcard.

I know its not useful, but this is wrong.

        HDA Intel is the question. "No" is the answer.

On Wed, June 6, 2007 21:13, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 20:59 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> HDA Intel is the soundcard.
>
> I know its not useful, but this is wrong.
>
> HDA Intel is the question. "No" is the answer.

Are you telling me this card will never work with jack ?

That`s not what I wanted to hear.

Surely if it works with aplayer then it should work with jack ?

Gabriel.

On Wed, June 6, 2007 22:18, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Wed, June 6, 2007 21:13, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 20:59 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> HDA Intel is the soundcard.
>>
>> I know its not useful, but this is wrong.
>>
>> HDA Intel is the question. "No" is the answer.
>>

> Are you telling me this card will never work with jack ?
>
> That`s not what I wanted to hear.
>

> Surely if it works with aplayer then it should work with jack ?
>

> Gabriel.

OK, I don`t know what happened, but it seems to be working better now by
itself.

I had one hang, and then I did:

/etc/init.d/alsa restart

after the restart it started working again.

I`ll look into this more, and let you know if I find out anything further.

Regards,
Gabriel.
http://lives.sourceforge.net

Re: problem with soundcard/alsa

Quentin Harley
[hidden email] wrote:

> On Wed, June 6, 2007 22:18, [hidden email] wrote:

>>> I know its not useful, but this is wrong.
>>>
>>> HDA Intel is the question. "No" is the answer.
>>>

>> Are you telling me this card will never work with jack ?
>>
>> That`s not what I wanted to hear.
>>

>> Surely if it works with aplayer then it should work with jack ?
>>

> OK, I don`t know what happened, but it seems to be working better now by
> itself.

I think what Paul meant, is that he wouldn't use jack for pro stuff on
that particular card.  Lots of issues, and lots of famous intel
secrecy.  Not our problem then!  Get a firewire interface for your
laptop.  Freebob seems to be coming on nicely.

I think you'll also find that it is possible to get it going in jack.  I
just wouldn't trust it with my precious live recordings, where the 1st
take is the only take you'll get!

Cheers,
Quentin

Re: problem with soundcard/alsa

Jussi Laako-2
[hidden email] wrote:
>>> HDA Intel is the soundcard.
>> HDA Intel is the question. "No" is the answer.
> Are you telling me this card will never work with jack ?

You can also try with OSS 4.0 driver and OSS backend if you like. OSS
has support for some Intel HD Audio devices. (my new nForce mobo has
one, and ALSA doesn't work properly (gives annoying high pitch whining).)

http://www.opensound.com

        - Jussi

On Thu, June 7, 2007 23:05, Jussi Laako wrote:
>>> HDA Intel is the question. "No" is the answer.
>> Are you telling me this card will never work with jack ?
>
> You can also try with OSS 4.0 driver and OSS backend if you like. OSS
> has support for some Intel HD Audio devices. (my new nForce mobo has
> one, and ALSA doesn't work properly (gives annoying high pitch whining).)

The same problem occurs with the OSS driver. It seems to be OK until I do
something requiring heavy i/o (e.g. opening a new application). Then the
interrupts stop, and I get this message in dmesg:

       hda-intel: Invalid position buffer, using LPIB read method instead.

It may be an ACPI problem, or it may just be that this soundcard is too
new to be fully supported in the kernel. HDA is "high definition audio",
and it seems to be a relatively new standard. Jack/alsa runs in 32 bit
mode, which is nice while it works.

I am going to try switching off ACPI support and see if that helps.

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 00:25 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> It may be an ACPI problem, or it may just be that this soundcard is too
> new to be fully supported in the kernel. HDA is "high definition audio",
> and it seems to be a relatively new standard. Jack/alsa runs in 32 bit
> mode, which is nice while it works.

its not that its a new standard. its that its not really a standard at
all. there are at least a dozen, maybe twice that, minor variations on
the standard, each of which require special handling by a device driver.

Re: problem with soundcard/alsa

Sampo Savolainen
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 20:59 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Wed, June 6, 2007 20:51, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On 6/6/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> I am setting up an AMD64 laptop, and there are some problems running
> >> jack.
> >>
> >> When I boot up and start jackd, all seems OK, until the first xrun
> >> occurs.
> >> After that it seems that the card no longer sends interrupts, even if
> >> jackd is restarted.
> >
> > So once JACK gets an xrun, even aplay won't work?
>
> aplay still works, as does alsamixer. Which is what leads me to believe
> it`s a jack bug.

Does arec work? Recording on my hda-intel card doesn't work unless I
enable recording on the "capture" element in alsamixer. If recording
doesn't work jack can't work either.

  Sampo

On Mon, June 11, 2007 20:53, Sampo Savolainen wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 20:59 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

>> > So once JACK gets an xrun, even aplay won't work?
>>
>> aplay still works, as does alsamixer. Which is what leads me to believe
>> it`s a jack bug.
>
> Does arec work? Recording on my hda-intel card doesn't work unless I
> enable recording on the "capture" element in alsamixer. If recording
> doesn't work jack can't work either.
>

>   Sampo

Arecord is not working, it seems to hang the card in a loop.

But I am going to try a different driver (there is one from Realtek which
is supposed to work better). I am in the process of compiling the kernel
for this.

Gabriel.

Re: problem with soundcard/alsa

Lee Revell
> Arecord is not working, it seems to hang the card in a loop.
>
> But I am going to try a different driver (there is one from Realtek which
> is supposed to work better). I am in the process of compiling the kernel
> for this.

Don't do this, it will most likely break your system even worse.

All the fixes from the realtek driver should be in the latest ALSA
development release.

Lee

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 21:41 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> > Does arec work? Recording on my hda-intel card doesn't work unless I
> > enable recording on the "capture" element in alsamixer. If recording
> > doesn't work jack can't work either.
> >

> >   Sampo
> >

> Arecord is not working, it seems to hang the card in a loop.
>
> But I am going to try a different driver (there is one from Realtek which
> is supposed to work better). I am in the process of compiling the kernel
> for this.

Did you try changing the capture settings for the cards' mixer?

 Sampo