problems connecting with the alsa sequencer

problems connecting with the alsa sequencer

matthew brunkalla
I think this may be more of an alsa problem, but it's impossible to
tell. I'd been using DeMuDi for a long time but decided to try
PlanetCCRMA (on top of a Fedora Core 3 intall) again. So, I followed
all of the installation instructions to the very last detail. (And,
I'm not exactly a linux newbie) Anyway, long story short, I use
qjackctl for it's ease. Basically, when I start it up, I get a message
saying that it couldn't open the ALSA sequencer as a client. Now, I
know from planetccrma's website that the ALSA sequencer kernel module
isn't loaded by default. PlanetCCRMA tells you to run

/sbin/chkconfig alsasound on

to load the module. I don't get any output when I enter the command,
so I assume it's loaded the module fine. At least under root. Under a
regular user, I get the following error message:

failed to make symlink /etc/rc2.d/S87alsasound: Permission denied
failed to make symlink /etc/rc3.d/S87alsasound: Permission denied
failed to make symlink /etc/rc4.d/S87alsasound: Permission denied
failed to make symlink /etc/rc5.d/S87alsasound: Permission denied

Anyway, regardless of the user, I *still* can't get jack to connect to
the ALSA sequencer. Not sure what's wrong. Not even sure where to
start. I'm confident that I could just reinstall the crusty old
version of DeMuDi I was using. But, I have a couple gripes about
AGNULA's current 'production' version. The new 1.2.1 will be great,
I'm sure (and I tried it out) but it's just 'not ready' yet.

All my music relies heavily on MIDI and I'm not sure what I should do.
Any advice?

By the way, if any of you want to hear the music I've made, you can
check out a demo track at http://myspace.com/imsleepyicantsleep

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

Re: problems connecting with the alsa sequencer

Lee Revell
On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 19:55 -0700, matthew brunkalla wrote:
> All my music relies heavily on MIDI and I'm not sure what I should do.
> Any advice?

modprobe snd-seq-midi

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 23:00 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 19:55 -0700, matthew brunkalla wrote:
> > All my music relies heavily on MIDI and I'm not sure what I should
> do.
> > Any advice?
>
> modprobe snd-seq-midi

This is the third or fourth bug report I have seen about this problem in
the past few days.

It's already fixed in ALSA CVS, but 1.0.8 will be around for a while
still, so really the distros should make sure to work around this bug.

Lee

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 23:19 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

> > > Any advice?
> >
> > modprobe snd-seq-midi
>
> This is the third or fourth bug report I have seen about this problem
> in
> the past few days.
>
> It's already fixed in ALSA CVS, but 1.0.8 will be around for a while
> still, so really the distros should make sure to work around this
> bug.

Never mind, I see that this was actually fixed in 1.0.7.

Lee

Re: problems connecting with the alsa sequencer

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 5/20/05, Lee Revell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Never mind, I see that this was actually fixed in 1.0.7.

Most likely it wasn't. I still use mknod to create both /dev/sequencer
and /dev/snd/seq on most recent PlanetCCRMA's ALSA.

Alexandre

Re: problems connecting with the alsa sequencer

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 19:55, matthew brunkalla wrote:

> I think this may be more of an alsa problem, but it's impossible to
> tell. I'd been using DeMuDi for a long time but decided to try
> PlanetCCRMA (on top of a Fedora Core 3 intall) again. So, I followed
> all of the installation instructions to the very last detail. (And,
> I'm not exactly a linux newbie) Anyway, long story short, I use
> qjackctl for it's ease. Basically, when I start it up, I get a message
> saying that it couldn't open the ALSA sequencer as a client. Now, I
> know from planetccrma's website that the ALSA sequencer kernel module
> isn't loaded by default. PlanetCCRMA tells you to run
>
> /sbin/chkconfig alsasound on

This only activates the script so that it will load the module on the
next reboot (and the command has to be run as root).

If you want to immediately start it you can do this (as root):
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
Or restart it completely
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
In both cases you should get the snd-seq kernel module loaded.

-- Fernando