qjackctl's save/ok/cancel logic -- presets

qjackctl's save/ok/cancel logic -- presets

Wolfgang Woehl
Hi Rui,

I wonder would you consider looking at the logic of qjackctl's "setup" window?

When I create a preset + click "save" then "ok" greys out leaving me "cancel"
to -- cancel what? I'm using qjackctl for a long time and I keep hanging
there for a second ..

When I modify a preset + click "ok" (no "save") the window closes and the
preset is changed permanently. Shouldn't a change without "save" be
temporary?

"Cancel" in my humble opinion is somewhat borked. It cancels the selection of
a preset other than the initial one. But that's only a part of what I did in
setup. The prominent part is creating presets. Which gets not cancelled,
thank god.

If I spend time in setup to create various presets I might not even remember
the initial one. "Cancel" then asks whether to apply or discard changes but
it doesn't indicate the initial preset. So you have to check messages. Which
is a source of error with -v and loads of lines. Is that behaviour really
useful?

Or: open setup, change the active preset _name_ and change it back to
original. Now "cancel" this. It's just not right :)

Couldn't "cancel" just disappear?
Couldn't "ok" just read "close" and do exactly that?
Couldn't current settings just be active for the next jackd invocation? And
yes, reappear in setup?

Be good, Wolfgang

Re: qjackctl's save/ok/cancel logic -- presets

Rui Nuno Capela
Wolfgang,

Sorry for being this late. I've been distracted with many other things...

On Fri, August 31, 2007 22:16, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:

> Hi Rui,
>

> I wonder would you consider looking at the logic of qjackctl's "setup"
> window?
>
> When I create a preset + click "save" then "ok" greys out leaving me
> "cancel" to -- cancel what? I'm using qjackctl for a long time and I keep
> hanging there for a second ..
>
> When I modify a preset + click "ok" (no "save") the window closes and the
>  preset is changed permanently. Shouldn't a change without "save" be
> temporary?

ok. some clarification first: the "Save" and "Delete" buttons on
Setup/Settings applies only to keep and managae values under a preset
name, which you can recall later.

the "OK" button applies the same values to be the ones on starting jackd.
the selected preset name is an indication of those set of values.

it just happens by design that the "OK" button is also equivalent to
"Save", applying the current settings to the selected preset name, dismiss
the dialog _and_ also set the preset as the one which will be named for
next time jackd is started under qjackctl.

it is not evident to me at least why the "OK" button is being greyed after
you press "Save". the expected behavior is that both "Save" and "OK" will
be enabled whenever some or any of the settings values have been changed
and disabled otherwise. the "OK" button enablement is also affected by
changes made on other options, not only those of settings.

is that way too annoying to you? or am I just being stubborn? yes I know I
might be one sometimes ;)

> "Cancel" in my humble opinion is somewhat borked. It cancels the
> selection of a preset other than the initial one. But that's only a part
> of what I did in setup. The prominent part is creating presets. Which gets
> not cancelled, thank god.

yes, "Cancel" is the opposite of "OK" in what I've stated above. "Save"
and "Delete" are immediate commands without "undo" option. "Cancel" will
just _not_ apply the selected preset (being changed or not) to the next
start of jackd server; it just doens't work as an "undo" command for your
preset list editing.

so this is all working as designed originally. chalked.

> If I spend time in setup to create various presets I might not even
> remember the initial one. "Cancel" then asks whether to apply or discard
> changes but it doesn't indicate the initial preset. So you have to check
> messages. Which is a source of error with -v and loads of lines. Is that
> behaviour really useful?

ah, when "Cancel" is pressed but you have changed some of thee settings
(or options in other tabs) a warning is issued asking you whether you want
to "Apply", "Discard" or "Cancel" the changes. if you answer with "Apply"
that will be exactly equivalent to "OK" in the first place; "Discard" will
proceed with dismissing without change, and "Cancel" here will return you
to the Setup dialog as it was.

maybe I'm missing something and there's a probable glitch somewhere in
this simple logic ...

> Or: open setup, change the active preset _name_ and change it back to
> original. Now "cancel" this. It's just not right :)

now _this_ one might the real bug, a tiny one i may say and rather
innocuous isn't it? ok, ok, i'll try to fix this _iif_ it doesn't get me
in more trouble :)

> Couldn't "cancel" just disappear?
> Couldn't "ok" just read "close" and do exactly that?
> Couldn't current settings just be active for the next jackd invocation?
> And
> yes, reappear in setup?

i wonder whether changing the status quo is any good. just in case this
issue is remotely related, remember that qjackctl is _not_ a gnome
application, and quite frankly and personally I'm not bound by any means
to love that ugly gnome UI guidelines or whatever that is. in fact that's
exactly the biggest reason that makes me stay in kde for years to come,
but that could be just me ;)

however, the issue it's open and everybody is welcome to comment

> Be good, Wolfgang

cheers.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Re: qjackctl's save/ok/cancel logic -- presets

Wolfgang Woehl
Dienstag, 4. September 2007 Rui Nuno Capela:

> it just happens by design that the "OK" button is also equivalent to
> "Save", applying the current settings to the selected preset name, dismiss
> the dialog _and_ also set the preset as the one which will be named for
> next time jackd is started under qjackctl.

Why not call the button "Apply and Save and Close" then? Am I so wrong in
thinking these are distinct operations for a reason?

> it is not evident to me at least why the "OK" button is being greyed after
> you press "Save". the expected behavior is that both "Save" and "OK" will
> be enabled whenever some or any of the settings values have been changed
> and disabled otherwise. the "OK" button enablement is also affected by
> changes made on other options, not only those of settings.

Open setup -> toggle "Verbose messages" -> save -> "Ok" goes grey
leaving "Cancel". Which is fairly consistent because in qjackctl "Ok"
is "Save" too and you just did that with "Save" :)

> is that way too annoying to you? or am I just being stubborn? yes I know I
> might be one sometimes ;)

Nah. I just think it's a design that suits your workflow best but is maybe not
totally unodd. Who am I to say. Just every now and then I stumble over it for
a reason, I think.

Wolfgang