qjacktctl and jackd: autostart and other things

qjacktctl and jackd: autostart and other things

Crypto
Hi,

a. I would like to run jackd as the soundserver for KDE. Therefore I have
set the sound system of KDE to jack using KDE's control panel options.

Now jackd has to be up and running before KDE attempts to use it as its
sound server, because otherways I get an error stating KDE can't run its
sound server and switches to the null output device.

Where do I place the link to jackd to run it before KDE itself is running?

b. Qjackctl is really great for setting up jackd. I have a few questions and
suggestions concerning its further development:

- When jackd is run without using qjackctl (as asked in a. and of course if
run from a terminal or console) - will qjackctl later on detect that jackd
already is running?

- How do I setup qjackctl so it will reside in the taskbar of KDE without
displaying its main window and indicate it is running only by showing the
taskbar icon?

- As a suggestion for optimum setup I would like qjackctl to help me setup
jackd environment, such as installation of realtime module and setting it
to gid=29, create a link or whichever is necessary for autostart of jackd
(which would help solving problem a.).

Thx for any hints here,
Dave.

Re: qjacktctl and jackd: autostart and other things

Michael Schnake
Hi,

On Monday 04 July 2005 13:23 Dave Glenn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> a. I would like to run jackd as the soundserver for KDE. Therefore I have
> set the sound system of KDE to jack using KDE's control panel options.
>
> Now jackd has to be up and running before KDE attempts to use it as its
> sound server, because otherways I get an error stating KDE can't run its
> sound server and switches to the null output device.
>
> Where do I place the link to jackd to run it before KDE itself is running?

A solution suggested in some other mail works fine for me:

- *Disable* the entire KDE sound system (arts) via the KDE control center

- Under the options tab on qjackctl setup enter the following commandlines:

  Execute script on Startup: artsshell -q terminate
  Execute script after Startup: artsd -F 4 -S 1024 -a jack -m artsmessage -c
drkonqi -l 3 -f &
  Execute script on Shutdown: artsshell -q terminate
  Execute script after Shutdown: killall artsd

That way arts is started and stopped via commandline by qjackctl as needed.

> b. Qjackctl is really great for setting up jackd. I have a few questions
> and suggestions concerning its further development:
>
> - When jackd is run without using qjackctl (as asked in a. and of course if
> run from a terminal or console) - will qjackctl later on detect that jackd
> already is running?

Yes, but qjackctl does not take over control for the already running jack
instance. So if you want to use qjackctl to start / stop jack with the
configured settings don't start jack "external".

> - How do I setup qjackctl so it will reside in the taskbar of KDE without
> displaying its main window and indicate it is running only by showing the
> taskbar icon?

I simply used the session management to once save a KDE session with all my
preferred services running (qjackctl among them, of course ;-). Other way
would be to put a script into ~/.kde/Autostart.

I do not known how to suppress opening the qjackctl main window at startup
(playing with KDEs special windows setting seems not to allow for something
like "immediately close window on first appearance only"). But I got used to
close that window manually once after startup. After that there is only the
taskbar icon left (if you enabled system tray icon in qjackctl settings ;-)

Mike.