realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz

Richard Cooper-5

Does anyone know where I can find realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz?  The file on sourceforge is just a gzipped text document.

Does anyone else know how to make Jack accept connections from any user?  Something like an "--accept-all-connetions" option sure would be a lovely thing to have.

Re: realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz

Lee Revell
On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 11:27 -0400, Richard Cooper wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can find realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz?  The file on sourceforge is just a gzipped text document.

Yes, it is.  It's a patch you apply to the kernel source.  There is no
binary available.

Lee

Re: realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz

Richard Cooper-5
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:32:54 -0400, Lee Revell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, it is.  It's a patch you apply to the kernel source.  There is no
> binary available.

I wasn't looking for a binary, I was looking for instructions.

pj@sucks:~/trash$ tar -xzf realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
pj@sucks:~/trash$ gunzip realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz
pj@sucks:~/trash$ file realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar
realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar: ASCII English text
pj@sucks:~/trash$

Now the text file does indeed appear to be the patch, but without instructions I have no idea how to go about applying it.  The last time I downloaded the patch it really was a .tar.gz file which included the patch, instructions on how to apply the patch, and the usual other stuff.  Now it's just a gzipped text file with no instructions.

Re: realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz

Lee Revell
On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 11:57 -0400, Richard Cooper wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:32:54 -0400, Lee Revell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, it is.  It's a patch you apply to the kernel source.  There is no
> > binary available.
>
> I wasn't looking for a binary, I was looking for instructions.
>
> pj@sucks:~/trash$ tar -xzf realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz
> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
> pj@sucks:~/trash$ gunzip realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz
> pj@sucks:~/trash$ file realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar
> realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar: ASCII English text
> pj@sucks:~/trash$

That does look like a mistake.

> Now the text file does indeed appear to be the patch, but without instructions I have no idea how to go about applying it.  The last time I downloaded the patch it really was a .tar.gz file which included the patch, instructions on how to apply the patch, and the usual other stuff.  Now it's just a gzipped text file with no instructions.

It's similar to any kernel patch.

cd <kernel-source-directory>
patch -p1 < realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar
"make oldconfig" and select M for CONFIG_SECURITY_REALTIME
make modules
sudo make modules_install
modprobe realtime gid=<gid-of-your-audio-group>

Lee

Re: realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz

LGTrader
On 7/2/06, Richard Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can find realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz?  The file on sourceforge is just a gzipped text document.

Looks like it used to be available on Jack O'Quinn's home page.
Unfortunately the link no longer works:

* sys-apps/realtime-lsm
     Available versions:  0.8.5-r1
     Installed:           0.8.5-r1
     Homepage:            http://www.joq.us/

Found 1 matches
lightning portage #

NOTE: Not that I want to disagree with Lee Revel's answer as I'm not
capable of arguing anything technical with him, but I would have
answered:

1) I do not patch my kernel with realtime-lsm
2) I patch my kernel with Ingo's -rt patches
3) I select LSM in the securities section when I build the kernel
4) I emerge realtime-lsm via Gentoo portage which builds a module
5) I load that module at boot time to get realtime-lsm working.

Probably you can patch the realtime-lsm module into the kernel source
tree and build it when you build the kernel but I've never done it
like that so I do not think it's absolutely required.

Cheers,
Mark

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 09:21 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> NOTE: Not that I want to disagree with Lee Revel's answer as I'm not
> capable of arguing anything technical with him, but I would have
> answered:
>
> 1) I do not patch my kernel with realtime-lsm
> 2) I patch my kernel with Ingo's -rt patches
> 3) I select LSM in the securities section when I build the kernel
> 4) I emerge realtime-lsm via Gentoo portage which builds a module
> 5) I load that module at boot time to get realtime-lsm working.

I try not to give distro-specific answers to generic questions ;-)

Lee

Re: realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz

Richard Cooper-5
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:06:44 -0400, Lee Revell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> patch -p1 < realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar
> "make oldconfig" and select M for CONFIG_SECURITY_REALTIME

That's what I needed.  Thank you.

Re: realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz

Florian Paul Schmidt-2
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:32:54 -0400
Lee Revell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 11:27 -0400, Richard Cooper wrote:
> > Does anyone know where I can find realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz?  The file on sourceforge is just a gzipped text document.
>
> Yes, it is.  It's a patch you apply to the kernel source.  There is no
> binary available.

If you look at the sf.net page for the realtime lsm, there are two files
available

a] a tarball containing the module source which you compile seperately
from the linux kernel [realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz]

b] a kernel patch that puts the realtime lsm into the kernel tree
[rt-lsm-0.8.6-kernel.patch.gz]

But if you download both and do a diff on them it turns out both are the
same file [the patch file]. So it's a problem with the files available
on sf.net. Jack knows of this problem and plans to make a new release
soon [or so i understood him :)]. nudge nudge ;)

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org

Re: realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz

Jack O'Quin
On 7/2/06, Florian Paul Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you look at the sf.net page for the realtime lsm, there are two files
> available
>
> a] a tarball containing the module source which you compile seperately
> from the linux kernel [realtime-lsm-0.8.6.tar.gz]
>
> b] a kernel patch that puts the realtime lsm into the kernel tree
> [rt-lsm-0.8.6-kernel.patch.gz]
>
> But if you download both and do a diff on them it turns out both are the
> same file [the patch file]. So it's a problem with the files available
> on sf.net. Jack knows of this problem and plans to make a new release
> soon [or so i understood him :)]. nudge nudge ;)

Yes.  Mea culpa.

I made a mistake on the upload.  It looks like the only way to fix
that is to make a new release.  Coming soon.

Meanwhile, the kernel patch is probably the recommended
method, anyway.  So, go ahead and try that using Lee's directions.
--
 joq