running jackd as a normal user

Michael Willoughby
Hi

 I am able to run jackd as a normal user but

1  jackd is unable to get access to alsa_pcm playback
2  other jack clients  running as normal users can't connect to jack.

If I run evrything as root no problems. But I want to start applications from a script and don't want the obvious security problems associated with root user.

Has anyone faced this problem and solved it.

michael

Re: running jackd as a normal user

Lee Revell
On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 11:33 +1300, Michael Willoughby wrote:
> Hi
>
>  I am able to run jackd as a normal user but
>
> 1  jackd is unable to get access to alsa_pcm playback
> 2  other jack clients  running as normal users can't connect to jack.

It sounds like your soundcard doesn't do mixing and some other program
like artsd or esd is blocking the sound card.

Lee

Re: running jackd as a normal user

Florian Paul Schmidt-2
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:33:10 +1300
Michael Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am able to run jackd as a normal user but
>
> 1 jackd is unable to get access to alsa_pcm playback
> 2 other jack clients running as normal users can't connect to jack.
>
> If I run evrything as root no problems. But I want to start applications
> from a script and don't want the obvious security problems associated with
> root user.

Check the permissions of the alsa device files.. Usually distros these
days don't make them world usable. chown them to root:audio and add
yourself to the group audio. Also make sure a group audio exists :)

If that wasn't the problem, read Lee's mail :)

Regards,
Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org

Re: running jackd as a normal user

Glynn Clements

Florian Schmidt wrote:

> > I am able to run jackd as a normal user but
> >
> > 1 jackd is unable to get access to alsa_pcm playback
> > 2 other jack clients running as normal users can't connect to jack.
> >
> > If I run evrything as root no problems. But I want to start applications
> > from a script and don't want the obvious security problems associated with
> > root user.
>
> Check the permissions of the alsa device files.. Usually distros these
> days don't make them world usable. chown them to root:audio and add
> yourself to the group audio. Also make sure a group audio exists :)

For PAM-based systems, the usual solution is to ensure that the file
/etc/security/console.perms is set up correctly and that the
appropriate services in /etc/pam.d (e.g. xdm) use the pam_console
module, i.e.:

        session    optional     pam_console.so

The net result is that "user" devices (e.g. sound card, CD-ROM drive)
are owned by whoever is logged in locally. This is usually the desired
behaviour for desktop systems.

--
Glynn Clements <[hidden email]>