searching for processes blocking the sound device

searching for processes blocking the sound device

Jürgen Schöneberg
Hello!

how can I simply search for processes which are blocking my sound device?

e.g. sometimes firefox and java or some other audio application is using
the sound device, so I can't start jack.

before I start jack I want to be sure that no other application is blocking.

some simple commands to grep and kill?

thank you
Jürgen

Re: searching for processes blocking the sound device

Andrzej Szombierski
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, [iso-8859-1] Jürgen Schöneberg wrote:

> Hello!
>
> how can I simply search for processes which are blocking my sound device?
>
> e.g. sometimes firefox and java or some other audio application is using
> the sound device, so I can't start jack.
>
> before I start jack I want to be sure that no other application is blocking.
>
> some simple commands to grep and kill?

fuser /dev/snd/* /dev/dsp*

Or, a more direct approach: ls -l /proc/*/fd/* | egrep 'snd|dsp'

--
:: Andrzej Szombierski :: [hidden email] :: http://kuku.eu.org ::
:: [hidden email]  :: radio bez kitu :: http://bezkitu.com ::

Re: searching for processes blocking the sound device

Mark Constable
On 2007-10-19 08:59 pm, Andrzej Szombierski wrote:
> > how can I simply search for processes which are blocking my sound device?
>
> fuser /dev/snd/* /dev/dsp*
> Or, a more direct approach: ls -l /proc/*/fd/* | egrep 'snd|dsp'

Or...

 lsof /dev/snd/*

even perhaps...

 kill $(lsof -t /dev/snd/*)