sound quality

pyrael
Hi,

I've been using jack for a couple of years now, and this is the fiorst problem I have run across.

I recently upgraded (Fresh install on a new computer) to Fedora 7 and planet CCRMA.
I generally use Hydrogen, QSynth and Rosegarden4 with Qjackctrl on KDE 3.5

Using qsynth, or any other audio application along with Jack (via qjackctrl) I am noticing a distorted sound. I was able to adjust the settings in jack enough to get the distortion to a minimum. but now it sounds like a helicopter. No matter what application I have tried (including bristol, bristol mini, qsynth, hydrogen, WhySynth, Rosegarden, etc...) I have found this distortion. Changing sample quality running without realtime, nothing has solved it. If I play hydrogen direct to alsa without jack, the sound is fine. So I am assuming the root is within jack.

I am using:
alsa-firmware 1.0.14-1.f7.ccrma
alsa-lib 1.0.14-3.fc7
jack 0.103.0-2.1015.svn.fc7.ccrma
qjackctl 0.2.22-2.f7.ccrma
hydrogen0.9.3-9.f7
Rosegarden4 1.5.1-1.fc7

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance

Re: sound quality

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 21:09 -0400, Covenant OfBlood wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using jack for a couple of years now, and this is the fiorst
> problem I have run across.
>
> I recently upgraded (Fresh install on a new computer) to Fedora 7 and
> planet CCRMA.
> I generally use Hydrogen, QSynth and Rosegarden4 with Qjackctrl on KDE
> 3.5
>
> Using qsynth, or any other audio application along with Jack (via
> qjackctrl) I am noticing a distorted sound. I was able to adjust the
> settings in jack enough to get the distortion to a minimum. but now it
> sounds like a helicopter. No matter what application I have tried
> (including bristol, bristol mini, qsynth, hydrogen, WhySynth,
> Rosegarden, etc...) I have found this distortion. Changing sample
> quality running without realtime, nothing has solved it. If I play
> hydrogen direct to alsa without jack, the sound is fine. So I am
> assuming the root is within jack.
>
> I am using:
> alsa-firmware 1.0.14-1.f7.ccrma
> alsa-lib 1.0.14-3.fc7
> jack 0.103.0-2.1015.svn.fc7.ccrma
> qjackctl 0.2.22-2.f7.ccrma
> hydrogen0.9.3-9.f7
> Rosegarden4 1.5.1-1.fc7
>
> Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

What soundcard do you have? And how do you have jack configured? That it
works with alsa would seem to imply a problem with the jack parameters
(ie: the program chooses something other than what jack is using). Is
this a computer with snd-hda-intel card? If so try with "Periods/Buffer"
3 or more.

-- Fernando