suspending clients

nbd

suspending clients

nbd
Hello. I wonder if there is a way for a client to suspend itself = detach
from the process graph but not totally disconnect, so that ports
would still be available, they just don't produce any sound as process()
would not be called

I mean the situation where my app just sits there waiting for some
output and fills the buffers with zero in the meantime (if I return
straight from the process() I get random output, right? The buffer is not
filled with zeroes by default, right?)

If this app could suspend itself, then there would be also one context
switch less..

Tommi

Re: suspending clients

Jack O'Quin-2
Tommi Sakari Uimonen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello. I wonder if there is a way for a client to suspend itself =
> detach from the process graph but not totally disconnect, so that
> ports would still be available, they just don't produce any sound as
> process() would not be called

Yes and no.  Your client can jack_deactivate(), taking itself out of
the graph.  But, this has to disconnect all your ports.  They remain
registered, but you'd have to reconnect them all after calling
jack_activate() again.

> I mean the situation where my app just sits there waiting for some
> output and fills the buffers with zero in the meantime (if I return
> straight from the process() I get random output, right? The buffer is
> not filled with zeroes by default, right?)

You may find zeroing the buffer to be the easiest solution.
--
  joq