xrun callback question

Chad Kelley
I'm using a Delta66 and Delta1010 synced via spdif
with the following .asoundrc configuration:

########## START ##########

# .asoundrc for two Delta 1010s
#
# Create virtual devices out of multiple soundcards.
# JACK will need MMAP_COMPLEX support to use this.
# ICE1712 chip has 12 capture channels and 10 playback channels.
# No. of channels in slaves must equal 12 for capture and 10 for playback
# otherwise "invalid argument" errors result.

pcm.multi_capture {
    type multi
    slaves.a.pcm hw:0
    slaves.a.channels 12
    slaves.b.pcm hw:1
    slaves.b.channels 12

     bindings.0.slave a
     bindings.0.channel 0
     bindings.1.slave a
     bindings.1.channel 1
     bindings.2.slave a
     bindings.2.channel 2
     bindings.3.slave a
     bindings.3.channel 3

# First 8 channels of second soundcard (capture)
     bindings.4.slave b
     bindings.4.channel 0
     bindings.5.slave b
     bindings.5.channel 1
     bindings.6.slave b
     bindings.6.channel 2
     bindings.7.slave b
     bindings.7.channel 3
     bindings.8.slave b
     bindings.8.channel 4
     bindings.9.slave b
     bindings.9.channel 5
     bindings.10.slave b
     bindings.10.channel 6
     bindings.11.slave b
     bindings.11.channel 7

# S/PDIF section. Uncomment bindings if required.

# S/PDIF first soundcard (capture)
     #bindings.16.slave a
     #bindings.16.channel 8
     #bindings.17.slave a
     #bindings.17.channel 9

# S/PDIF second soundcard (capture)
     #bindings.18.slave b
     #bindings.18.channel 8
     #bindings.19.slave b
     #bindings.19.channel 9
}

ctl.multi_capture {
    type hw
    card 0
}

pcm.multi_playback {
    type multi
    slaves.a.pcm hw:0
    slaves.a.channels 10
    slaves.b.pcm hw:1
    slaves.b.channels 10

# First 8 channels of first soundcard (playback)
     bindings.0.slave a
     bindings.0.channel 0
     bindings.1.slave a
     bindings.1.channel 1
     bindings.2.slave a
     bindings.2.channel 2
     bindings.3.slave a
     bindings.3.channel 3

# First 8 channels of second soundcard (playback)
     bindings.4.slave b
     bindings.4.channel 0
     bindings.5.slave b
     bindings.5.channel 1
     bindings.6.slave b
     bindings.6.channel 2
     bindings.7.slave b
     bindings.7.channel 3
     bindings.8.slave b
     bindings.8.channel 4
     bindings.9.slave b
     bindings.9.channel 5
     bindings.10.slave b
     bindings.10.channel 6
     bindings.11.slave b
     bindings.11.channel 7

# S/PDIF section. Uncomment bindings if required.http://www.sound-man.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html

# S/PDIF first soundcard (playback)
     #bindings.16.slave a
     #bindings.16.channel 8
     #bindings.17.slave a
     #bindings.17.channel 9

# S/PDIF second soundcard (playback)
     #bindings.18.slave b
     #bindings.18.channel 8
     #bindings.19.slave b
     #bindings.19.channel 9
}

ctl.multi_playback {
    type hw
    card 0
}

########### END #############

When I run jack from the command line with

jackd -R -d alsa -p 256 -r 48000 -C multi_capture -P multi_playback

I rarely see an xrun being reported except at the end of ardour exports.
When I'm using qjackctl or any client (even a simple one) that uses
jack_set_xrun_callback, the callback gets called thousands of times.
Why?

I don't notice any clicks or pops with either configuration.  The sound is seemingly fine.

                        -Thanks
                         Chad

Re: xrun callback question

John Rigg-3
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 08:53:48AM -0700, Chad Kelley wrote:
> I'm using a Delta66 and Delta1010 synced via spdif

> When I run jack from the command line with
>
> jackd -R -d alsa -p 256 -r 48000 -C multi_capture -P multi_playback
>
> I rarely see an xrun being reported except at the end of ardour exports.
> When I'm using qjackctl or any client (even a simple one) that uses
> jack_set_xrun_callback, the callback gets called thousands of times.
> Why?
>
> I don't notice any clicks or pops with either configuration.  The sound is
> seemingly fine.

I have found that when using pcm_multi some jack clients such as jamin
report xruns even though none are audible and the alsa driver doesn't report
any. qjackctl users have reported the same thing. AFAICT it's harmless
and doesn't affect the audio quality. It's interesting that you've found
jack_set_xrun_callback is involved; perhaps that's enough information to
allow someone to fix it.

John