xruns(lets) in qjackctl

Geoff Beasley
thanks to all who have tried to help with this. i have tried all options i can
think of and you good folks have suggested & to date the facts are if i run
my new AMD X2 dual core cpu with my 3 c-ports with an smp kernel i get
thousands of xruns every minute.jackd does not report these... i cannot hear
these....but they are being reported by qjackctl which is alarming. the
performance is also not remarkable, so perhaps there is something in  this .

i'm out of my league here for sure; but i've tried the single cpu kernel and
that works ok; but i wan't to use both processors as this is a main
production machine and has more than enough grunt in smp mode for the
task.when in single cpu mode my problem is irq sharing; for some reason this
mobo (gig-byte) doesn't deliver apic in single-core mode. in single core i
can only use tsc clock ( does this matter ?) acpi-pm isn't available. in dual
i'm using acpi-pm and have followed most suggestions here and elsewhere, but
it just won't stop reporting these x-runlets. by that i mean the bracketed
number in the readout on qjackctl just keeps climbing but the main integer
stays at 1 or 2. jack only reports the main xruns in -v mode; it says nothing
about these bracketed numbers.

it is stable with just a single ice1712 with smp ,so this must be a problem
with the multi card setup i'm running. i've tried reducing the preemption
from real-time to desktop with little effect and more main xruns, so that's
not it. i'm using jack 102-20 svn, alsa 1.11 & 2.6.16.-rt29. i've recompiled
alsa and jack against the acpi-pm timers....anything else to test ?

best,

g.

Re: xruns(lets) in qjackctl

Geoff Beasley
one more thing.. it seems that the alsamixer sync setting is optional on the
Hoontech C-Port cards ! I can "freewheel" them and the array still works
exactly the same... same number of xrunlets too ! just clutching at straws I
guess.
i thought that they all had to be locked otherwise jackd would crash...

g.

Re: xruns(lets) in qjackctl

Jussi Laako

Geoff Beasley wrote:
> it is stable with just a single ice1712 with smp ,so this must be a problem
> with the multi card setup i'm running. i've tried reducing the preemption
> from real-time to desktop with little effect and more main xruns, so that's
> not it. i'm using jack 102-20 svn, alsa 1.11 & 2.6.16.-rt29. i've recompiled
> alsa and jack against the acpi-pm timers....anything else to test ?

Have you tried asking on alsa-devel list? As this sounds like a bug in alsa.

BR,

        - Jussi

Re: xruns(lets) in qjackctl

John Rigg-3
On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 11:37:54AM -0500, Geoff Beasley wrote:
> thanks to all who have tried to help with this. i have tried all options i can
> think of and you good folks have suggested & to date the facts are if i run
> my new AMD X2 dual core cpu with my 3 c-ports with an smp kernel i get
> thousands of xruns every minute.jackd does not report these... i cannot hear
> these....but they are being reported by qjackctl which is alarming. the
> performance is also not remarkable, so perhaps there is something in  this .

Does jackd report these `xruns' as console messages? If not, and you
can't hear them I'd be inclined to put them down to some unintended
interaction between qjackctl's xrun reporting mechanism and ALSA's
pcm_multi plugin (caveat: I'm not an ALSA or JACK developer).

On my system I don't use qjackctl as I don't have any Qt apps (and I don't
want to install a huge library like Qt just to start jackd). I do get a
similar situation when running jamin with pcm_multi - thousands of xruns
are reported by jamin (but not by jackd), but I can't hear them so I ignore
them. This definitely isn't caused by the system being worked hard
enough so that xruns are imminent (CPU load is low for all threads),
so for the time being I'm treating it as a harmless but irritating bug.

John

Re: xruns(lets) in qjackctl

John Rigg-3
On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 01:21:43PM -0500, Geoff Beasley wrote:
> one more thing.. it seems that the alsamixer sync setting is optional on the
> Hoontech C-Port cards ! I can "freewheel" them and the array still works
> exactly the same... same number of xrunlets too ! just clutching at straws I
> guess.
> i thought that they all had to be locked otherwise jackd would crash...

My M-Audio Delta 1010s will also run unsynced without jackd complaining. I
haven't tried recording like this, as I'd expect to get audible
glitches. My guess is that the clock frequencies are pretty closely
matched.

John